Wednesday, February 4, 2015

ANSELM OF CANTERBURY (1033-1109)


“My conclusion is widely believed,
Oh you monk who are sadly deceived.
A fool’s what I’m seeing,”
So mutters the being
Greater than which cannot be conceived.


Note: See note on yesterday's limerick (on Gaunilo of Marmoutiers).  When I came up with the Gaunilo limerick, I showed it to Dana (see my introductory blog post on January 20), who then (five minutes later) came up with this beauty.  Of course, because she teaches the Anselm/Gaunilo exchange regularly, she’s one step ahead of me.  So, no surprise.  Come to think of it, she’s always one step ahead of me.  That’s one of the reasons why I asked her to marry me (she said “yes”!), which makes me the guy luckier than whom cannot be conceived.    

No comments:

Post a Comment